This recipe for banana bread came from a dear, sweet lady from the church that I grew up in that I use to swap recipes with. She has since gone to be with Jesus, but I think of her each time that I make it. Her sweet face springs to mind each time I make her recipes, and I think of her legacy of caring and nourishing those around her…
My notes are in bold.
[This post may contain affiliate links, for more information click here.]
Joanne’s Low Fat Banana Bread Or Muffins
- 3 or 4 banana (the riper the better!)
- 1 cup sugar
- l egg
- 1/4 cup oil (I use avocado oil as it is much healthier than vegetable or canola oil)
- 1/4 cup applesauce (I am not worried about fats, I just use 1/2 cup oil most of the time)
Mix dry ingredients
- 2 cups flour (I use King Arthur Gluten Free All Purpose BAKING MIX-not the flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
Some of our favorite add-ins are
- 1/2- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1/2-1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup dried fruit bits
Pour into greased pan (I use butter and line with parchment paper) (makes 12 large muffins or one loaf of bread. Bake at 350° F for 25 minutes for muffins or 45-60 minutes for bread This is a family favorite that I make as often as once a week.
This recipe also works very well with a strusel topping
- 2/3 cup Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Mix
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter, cold
Mix dry ingredients well before adding butter and mixing until crumbly. I like to double the streusel topping.
Never underestimate even the sharing of recipes. It is such a sweet act, and often quite a blessing to recipients.
I think of Mrs Joanne’s sweet encouragement and caring each time I make this, or see the recipe in my book. While she was still living it served as a remind to lift her up in prayer and thank the Lord for putting her in my life.